Ruhr Museum

Halbachhammer

The Halbachhammer was a donation from Gustav Krupp von Bohlen und Halbach to the city of Essen. Originally located in Weidenau an der Sieg, the listed building is now situated in the western part of the forest park which was created as a permanent installation and donated to the city of Essen for local recreation by Margarethe Krupp in conjunction with the construction of the Margarethenhöhe.

The plant, first documented in 1417, was shutdown at the beginning of the 20th century after almost 500 years of operation as the last one in the Siegerland region. In 1914, Gustav Krupp von Bohlen und Halbach arranged its change of location to Essen and had it rebuilt, ready for production, in 1935/36 in the Nachtigallental – within eyeshot of the Margarethenhöhe.

Today the Margarethenhöhe, the enclosing forests and the Halbachhammer form a private foundation with a high cultural value. In technical terms the Halbachhammer is a “hammer mill”. This mill combined interrelated smelting and forging processes under one roof, based on the used water power and the burned coal. The plant originally produced forgeable iron from carbon-enriched brittle pig iron using a new smelting (“refining”) and forging process. Throughout Europe the Halbachhammer is one of the rare monuments which represents this preindustrial technique of producing steel. In November 2010 the heavy hammer was able to work under water for the first time since the 1930s due to extensive restauration works.

During the summer time, on the first Sunday every month, the technical monument of the Ruhr Museum is demonstrated in show events.

The Halbachhammer branch of the museum is closed during the winter.

In the future the Halbachhammer is going to be a station on one of the three Adventure routes that connect the Ruhr valley with the New Emschertal. These routes are created in connection with the project “Essen. New ways to the water”.

Getting here

For further information and booking Besucherdienst Ruhr Museum